CODING CHANGES LIFE

CAREER IN CODING 

Most people, who want to start coding, don’t know how and where to start. Most of the time they even don’t know, which programming language to learn first. Right now I have experiences in HTML, CSS, PHP, JAVA, C++, Python and R. In this story I will tell you how I started.


How it begun

Nearly two years ago one of my teachers asked me to join the schools homepage-team. The purpose of the team was to administrate (and also develop) the schools homepage. At this time there was only one programmer, who really code something. The others added articles to our homepage, so they didn’t need any programming skills. At this point I have to admit that I had no programming skills as well.

Because our ‘senior’ programmer hadn’t really time, I had to learn everything from scratch on my own — quite hard and the same situation many readers of this story might be in as well.

Web Development

I was so excited and so started a research in the web on ‘how to learn web development’. I knew that I had to learn HTML and CSS, but that was all. The result of my research was this great website, where I’ve learned HTML5 and CSS3 (german). This tutorial was the origin of several websites I build (not dynamically, of course). I really created a website for everything: Summarizing the stuff I had to learn for my next english exam, a website containing all information about projects we made and several others.

After some time I met the senior programmer of our homepage-team again and he told me to learn PHP, so that I can create dynamic websites like the homepage of our school. Again I made researches to find websites like the previous one and to learn how to use PHP. Unfortunately I didn’t find such a good website and had to collect my knowledge from every site I found. It didn’t worked as well as learning HTML /CSS and so I was pretty fast on a kind of plateau: I did not really understand what I was doing and how the code worked.

So I asked the only programmer I knew so far and he made me a great offer: Let’s remake the homepage based on a new framework: CodeIgniter. We worked through the summer holidays 2015 reshaping the whole website. In these six weeks I gained my major knowledge of PHP and Web Development!

Now I was able to build dynamic websites based on CodeIgniter and learned my first ‘real’ programming language (plus a little JavaScript).

Learning C++

However some day I thought: ‘I want to create real applications!’ Of course Web Development is really important and exciting, because you really SEE what you have made and don’t have ‘only’ a console application.

Nevertheless I wanted to create my own Windows application and bought a book about C++ (I can really recommend it!). It was hard, because I wasn’t quick on the uptake like I was when I learned PHP. And here is the important thing I’ve learned during the learning time of C++:

Never give up and keep learning by practising!

Further Languages

After learning those languages (PHP, C++) it was easy for me to adopt further languages like JAVA and Python, because once you have the knowledge, how everything works, the only thing that changes is the syntax (and of course some specific things that makes the language unique and worthable to learn).

Additional Tips and Remarks

As mentioned above: Never stop practising. However sometimes you are tired of learning more about a specific programming language. If you come to this point, learn a new one and some day you will be full of pleasure if you restart coding the language you’ve learned before.

If you find something you really want to learn: Do it!

Some weeks ago I read a tweet about R, a programming language which is perfect if you want to do some analytics. I was really interested in analytics and wanted to practise it a little bit, because this time I got tired of coding in C++. Right now I’m learning more about analytics in R and enjoy the time really well.

Practise together

If you have some friends enjoying coding like you do, ask them to collaborate on a certain project you all are interested in. It’s much easier to fix problems.

Google is your friend and so all communities.

If you have a problem, you are not able to fix, surf the web to find a solution to your problem. It’s likely that someone asked the same question you have in a community like StackOverflow. If not: ask your question in an appropriate forum.


I hope this story helped you and the decision on how to start coding isn’t as difficult for you as before. I always searched for someone writing about how he had begun and so I wanted to do it to help others on their journey of coding.

If this story helped you, feel free to like it, share it or to leave a comment.

Have a great day and keep coding!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BASIC ICT SKILLS - CLASS - IX

GREEN SKILLS - I

IT & ITeS (CBSE Class IX Answers)